Monday, August 17, 2009

What I Did On My Summer Vacation — Part Dos

Well, I never thought this would happen … I LOST 0.2 pounds since last Monday’s weigh-in!!! Even after all the heavy food I ate this weekend, I’m still in the 150s! I’ve gone for run/walks the past four days, and I KNOW that helped things a billion percent. I don’t have food-and-drink-related events for the next few weekends, so I see myself powering right through the next few weeks. No more losing weight during the week and gaining it back on the weekends. Holla!
Now back to the recap of my vacay in Decatur, Illinois.
Saturday

We went back to Mi Pueblito for lunch, but this time I craved a meal with vegetables.
I ordered vegetable fajitas.
Although I knew the veggies would be a bit oily, I just knew I needed vegetables. I made one fajita in a tortilla and just picked around at my veggies, rice and beans for the rest of the meal. The tortilla is definitely not the tasty part of this meal, so why consume the calories?

Ryan and I were very excited about Mi Pueb.

After lunch we went to a little tattoo shop to check out their books. Brianna is thinking about getting a tat … and I’m kinda thinking about getting another one, too. Who knows. Neither of us got one, but it was a fun place to go. The girl at the front desk could totally be BFF with Kat Von D or anyone on LA Ink. After that, we roamed around downtown Decatur. Nothin’ really goin’ on there, but at least we were walking around and enjoying the weather.

Before lunch, we made a quick decision to buy some corn from a roadside stand. We got 18 ears … for five people. We did think we’d have more friends join us, but still. Lotsa corn. Ryan peeled back the husks, removed the silk, and added some flava. He smeared some garlic and green onion butter on the majority of them, and put lime juice and salt on a few others. I’ve been waiting to do the lime and salt thing aaaall summer because I’ve never tried it but keep reading about it in mags. He replaced the husks and they were ready to go.

Here’s all 18 cobs on the grill.

We knew that after our uberheavy Friday night dinner and semiheavy Mi Pueb lunch, we needed a light and vegetable-y dinner.

Here’s my beautiful dinner plate.

We made light and tasty salads with mixed greens, Craisins, sliced toasted almonds, feta cheese and raspberry vinaigrette. The lime corn was really good! It had just a little zing to it that was perfect for summer. I also had a garlic butter one. Also amazing. To tell the truth, this was the best corn-on-the-cob I’ve had in my life! (Don’t tell my dad … oh wait … he reads this.) Grilled corn is totally where it’s at.

It did make for a very corn-y dinner table, though.

We had eight ears left over,
so I sliced off the kernels for later use.

(Quick aside: Thank you SO much for the suggestions for the leftover corn. The “Summer Salad” suggested by Andrea@WellnessNotes sounds FABULOUS! Click here and read her comment to get the recipe. I just talked to Brianna, and she threw corn in some salsa and also made the summer salad. Delish! I might just buy the summer salad stuff and make it myself! Yummers.)

Quite possibly the best part of the evening — aside from hanging out with my friends and laughing ’til it hurt — was that our dinner was chock full of vegetables and healthiness. I had three ears of corn and two helpings of salad! We were all just as full as we were the night before, but we didn’t feel like crap afterward.

We hung out the rest of the night, but my early-morning departure time was looming over my head. When we finally decided to hit the hay, I slept in my clothes so I would have less to do in the morning. Call me crazy :) Long story short, I woke up less than four hours later, packed my stuff, headed to the airport, and hopped a plane back to the Twin Cities.

I miss Brianna already. Thanks for a great vacation :)
When I got home, I ate some peanut butter toast and then slept for a long time. When I woke up, I went for a run/walk in the gym at my apartment and then made myself a dinner of green beans and two black bean burgers.

I woke up this morning and ran/walked in my gym again. You might be wondering why I’m not going outside anymore. Well, I left my iPod at Brianna’s, and I just don’t think I can run outside without my tunes. She’s throwing it in the mail tomorrow. Until then, I’ll work out in my gym and watch TV. This morning I watched True Hollywood Story: The Pussycat Dolls. Seeing those hott bods was great motivation! I’ll look like those girls one of these days …

That’s all for now. Peace, friends :)

11 comments:

  1. Good job on the weight loss! Losing anything while being on vacation is a huge victory! Good job!

    I'm glad Brianna liked the "Summer Salad."

    We canceled cable a few weeks ago, and now I love watching TV while doing cardio at the gym... It's almost a motivator to work out in itself... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab trip - sounds wonderful - especially that you've come home rested, relaxed and lighter - that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job at staying healthy on vacation!!!

    I wish my gym had TV's....I would be more likely to use the treadmills. (They face a plain white cinderblock wall....yuck!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wish apartments here had gyms - such a good idea!!! Amanda you are sooooooooooo gorgeous - keep rockin it layee!!!

    love liz xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the loss - wahoo!

    That corn looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an awesome vacation. I love the pictures. Congrats on your loss over the weekend! You did much better than I did in New Orleans, but I'm almost done paying for the mistake thxuverymuch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you did a nice job of balancing your vacation: yummy treats because it is a vacay and exercise/veggies to keep yourself on track. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go on losing weight while on vacation!

    I received an award and now I'm paying it forward to you. It's the One Lovely Blog Award. You can find the details on my blog.

    http://skinnysweetpea.blogspot.com/

    I really enjoy your blog...keep on blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Two Kittehs have an award for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Running outside without an Ipod is torture! Good call on working out inside :)
    Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete